Saturday 10 August 2013

Can you freeze that?




When my family and I moved into our home about 2 years ago, we bought a brand new upright freezer thinking we would have so much to freeze.  Truth be  told, it's been practically empty until I've researched things I can freeze that make it easy  to unfreeze and cook up a meal.  Here is a mini list I've made up of food items that I believe freeze and unfreeze well:

Diced Vegetables:  

Just wash, dry, dice and quickly bag them up.  Flatten the freezer bags to make space in your freezer.  When you flatten the freezer bags it makes it easier for foods  to unfreeze.

Soups and Broth:  

Cool leftover soup completely and transfer to freezer friendly food containers OR mason jars.  When your freezing liquids like broth, be sure to leave room for expansion (about 1 cup should do).  The night before you are ready to eat soup, you can thaw the soup or broth in the fridge, reheat and serve.

Pesto:  

Make or buy pesto sauce.  Put the sauce into freezer friendly containers or mason jars and directly into the freezer. Now you can have pesto whenever the mood strikes!!

Homemade or Store Bought Pizza Dough:  

You can freeze pizza dough as it is, so stock up when they are on sale!!

Marinated Meat:   

Place meat in a freezer bag pour in the marinade and freeze.

Homemade Lasagna:  

when you are preparing lasagna, be sure to prepare more than one lasagna tray.  You can freeze lasagna in the dish it is in.  Bake directly from frozen.  **I don't cook then freeze my lasagna, I prepare and freeze uncooked**

Herbs:  

You can easily freeze just about any herb.  Many freeze herbs using ice cube trays and water (I don't).  I wash, let dry chop and freeze in freezer bags.

What do you freeze?

0 comments:

Post a Comment